Thread: Speculation: Is Doug Wilson too attached?
View Single Post
Old
08-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Le Rosbeef

vCash: 500
Is Doug Wilson too attached?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...ve-Now/1/22542

Forgive me, I've been listening to Hockeybuzz (as I was bored!) and Ryan Garner was on the show talking Sharks (if you're interested, it's at #29:08 to 38:10 if you don't want to listen to the non-Sharks stuff!)

Normally I'm not Garner's biggest fan as I'm sure you'll know, but he did explain in depth about his views on Marleau and the Sharks so I listened in.

He raised a point that kind of struck a chord worth discussing:

There's been speculation by some media types that our GM might overvalue his players in trades. Garner suggested it might be because Doug Wilson is getting too attached to his players - it's an interesting question. The key question was, Does he believe his own propaganda? (hence his overvaluing of his own assets in trades). Is he just too loyal? Too nice a guy?

Garner backed it by stating that most often the guys he (Wilson) had traded were guys who'd been Sharks for less than 3 years.

What do people think? I'm not sure one way or another but it made me ponder it from another angle this summer! From a speculative point of view Wilson did seem very angry after the playoffs but without action to back it up, is it just hollow words designed to placate the fanbase without taking action against those he's too attached to?

I'm intrigued!

...As an aside, Eklund said during the same show that he's been hearing this week that Marleau would waive his NTC. Take that for what it's worth!

((Oh and just in case you missed it, the same Garner that wanted rid of Marleau in his last blog stated on the show that he thinks that "we haven't seen the best of him yet" and "it'd be a shame to see him go". Interesting slant!))

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote