Thread: Larry Brooks: Messier named Special Assistant ...
View Single Post
Old
08-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

[ His messy contract negotiations and subsequent departure to Vancouver.

You mean when he was high fiving Graves and Leetch on a fishing trip in the Bahamas over the Skrudlund and Keene signings? What "messy" contract negotiations took place? The Garden wasted time trying to get Ewing signed and Vancouver swooped in with an offer the Rangers weren't prepared to match. It was a little ugly for a week but he didn't depart with his middle finger raised or with Garden bashing comments....
Quote:
- His inability to step back to a reduced role and reduced icetime when he returned to NY.
How is that Messier's fault? Was he the coach of the team?

Quote:
- His running players and coaches in and out of town behind the scenes in both tours of duty.
Wait so Roger Neilson shouldn't have been fired? In addition what players do you speak of?

Quote:
- Hell, I'll even throw in when he came back and spent a year nauseatingly shilling for that cold remedy.
Wow, an endorsement deal....
Quote:
Was management culpable in allowing these things to happen? Sure. But that doesn't change his involvement.
Management is fully culpable for most of these things you are blaming Messier for.

Messier isn't coming in as Sathers replacement, he is coming in paying his dues and seeing where it leads. I think he will be named GM and frankly if he earns the job I don't see a problem with it. I will see a problem with him being the GM if he spends the majority of the time around the Garden and not on the road learning the ropes.

Mark Messier was the Captain of the one stanley Cup winning team we have had in the past 70 years hasn't he EARNED the right for a shot at a management position?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote