Thread: Larry Brooks: Messier named Special Assistant ...
View Single Post
Old
08-17-2009, 01:38 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. It's one thing to dislike this move, but nobody who remembers that cup run (and I'm probably on the younger end of the spectrum that does, as I was 9, but I remember the enirtey of it) would speak about the man with as little affection as some posters here are.
I don't know how to say this other than to tell you that you are wrong. We all are entitled to react to players or anything else for that matter in any way we choose. There is no uniformity of reactions.

I loved Messier as a player, especially as an Oiler, and I'm very grateful for his helping the Rangers win a Cup and while they wouldn't have won it without him, Leetch was easily the most important player in capturing that Cup, in my opinion. I also think that if you took Kovalev off that team they don't win. That doesn't mean he was as valuable as the other two but he was great in that Cup run yet many here denigrate Kovalev repeatedly.

But none of this matters. What matters is that Messier's final stint here stunk up the joint on the ice and in the inner workings of the team. I'm not mad at him about it. He didn't do anything wrong. He just accepted money from the village idiot. Who can blame him for that?

Also, none of this has anything to do with his being hired now. Honestly, I don't care all that much about it, maybe because I have come to expect that Edmonton's footprint is so enormous at MSG that it is hard to envision it going away anytime soon.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote