Thread: Confirmed with Link: Nicola Riopel signed
View Single Post
Old
08-17-2009, 03:06 PM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I personally think Riopel has the most potential of anyone in the farm system. Him not being drafted the year before really motivated him and he came back and lit the Q on fire, including breaking records. Despite this he falls to the 5th round, even more motivation. He sounds a ton like Giroux or Briere, their entire young careers they were undervalued and worked their butt off to prove people wrong.

I would not be surprised to see him starting for the Flyers in 3 years.
Very lofty goals for a 5th round draft pick. There have been plenty of players who put up incredible numbers at a junior or collegiate level that could also peform at the next level (AHL), but couldn't perform at the highest level. Frankly, the odds of Riopel being the Flyer backup, let alone starter, are not very good. If he does become that type of goalie, he's the odd diamond in the rough that every team hopes to find every once in a while.

That said I don't think that comparing Riopel to Giroux or Briere is a fair comparison given that both of them were first round picks. Just how undervalued were they if they were picked in the first round?

Last edited by pelts35.com: 08-17-2009 at 03:14 PM.
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote