View Single Post
Old
08-17-2009, 10:25 PM
WWGRD10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Short answer is no. Long answer is that I think you can still get it in Europe, or at least the stuff there is branded as Jofa, and you can get it made for you if you are involved with a high level pro team.

Second, if you haven't already, you should try on some RBK stuff. A lot of the shins are pretty much the exact same, and they've made some nice improvements on aspects of them. Shoulder pads were the exact same for years, they recently made a few modifications to them, but good ones.

Basically, try on newer stuff. Would you expect to be able to find a new 2002 mustang at a car dealership? Pro shops are the same way. They clear out all the old stuff to make room for the new and improved gear.
I'm a bit of a rare bird in that regard... I like some of the RBK stuff. I have the '07-'08 4K shins which are of course based on the old Jofa platform. I had the 3K shoulders which were a thorough disappointment... two bulky in the shoulder caps. I love my new 8K KFS '09 shoulders... lots of mobility and a low profile. I feel where RBK has botched the line is in shins and elbow. The first year was JOFA w/ an RBK logo slapped on it. Now, there is no continuity as you make your way up the food chain from 3K to 8K on RBK products. It used to be better fit and articulation points as you went up the line. Now, the 8K are too bulky, and believe it or not fit worse than the 4s and 6s... the straps are actually cut to fit better on those. The 8K's barely strap across the inner elbow to the forearm guard.

I find that RBK made some great improvements to the Jofa line to a point, but you can't beat items like the old 8K elbows which are based on the Jofa 5066/9177 models (the one with the extended cuff on the forearm).

I hear you on the Mustang analogy. That's why I'm expanding my search to any input that other users would have. There is plenty of new, unused Jofa stuff on eBay, just not in my size. So that's why I'm hunting here. And one thing to remember w/ regard to RBK... as much as I love the brand, new doesn't always equate to improved. Kind of like those ugly '80s model Mustangs!

WWGRD10 is offline   Reply With Quote