View Single Post
Old
08-18-2009, 10:54 AM
HFNHL Commish

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
The crack from the original poster will not make a difference except in the most rare circumstances. Yes, there is a risk, but there is risk in everyday life too. What is our choice? Stay home and get fat?

I used to play with a goaltender that would buy a new piece of gear after any time he would get a new bruise. No matter what he bought, he still felt the sting of the puck. It's hockey, not needle point.

The moral of the story, if you play, you risk getting hurt. While I am pro-protection, I think that we have a tendency of ringing the bell to loudly and too often. There are some obvious safety issues, such as full face shields for non-pro players, and then there are "it would be best if you had a better X" situations such as this.
You're absolutely on point in that, no matter what, we all have to get up, dust ourselves off, and move on as best we can. My way of doing that was to start coaching.

I acknowledge that all hockey equipment is flawed, as trade-offs are made between comfort, weight, and flexibility. I also acknowledge that hockey is a risky sport. However, that risk can be mitigated without affecting the game play. As a coach, that means I check that the bench doors work properly, the stanchions are well-padded, etc. As a player, that means you're responsible for having all your equipment work the way it's supposed to.

It's not about putting people in a bubble. That's cynical. My helmet was in perfect shape and I still got wrecked. What it's about is risk mitigation.

HFNHL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote