View Single Post
Old
08-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

vCash: 500
A lot of Canes fans will always have a soft spot in their heart for Arturs Irbe and we are among them. My son, who was a very young budding goalie during his era here saw Irbe as a hero, and on a number of occasions he got a chance to talk with Irbe. He was tremendous about talking with him about his play, giving good advice on how to prepare and progress as a goalie, taking and autographing pictures, etc - and he did this with lots of the kids. Those are fond memories. Never saw the man refuse to sign or talk to a kid.

As he got older my son gave up hockey and moved on to lacrosse, but he still considers Irbe one of his real heroes, and has a stick and framed pic on his wall. What a terrific guy, and I wish him well (except when preparing against us of course). Even though his tenure here didn't end the way we had hoped (looking back, he was such a proud and fierce competitor, I think it was hard for him to realize his NHL time was ending), I hope we will honor him at a game one day - maybe at a Caps game this year!

Maybe JR and Archie can bury the hatchet from 2004. That would be awesome.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote