Old
08-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Mikkelson kind of reminds me of Hedican. He can skate and move the puck fairly well and is reasonably solid defensively(although this hasn't translated to the NHL level yet). If he can end up as good as Hedican was during his Carolina days then he will easily have been worth the second rounder.

As far as this season goes, one of Mikkelson/Festerling/salcido/Mitera have a chance at the number 6/7 role. Hopefully McCarthy is sent to the minors and one of the younger guys can make the big club.
I've always liked Mikkelson's skillsets. It's not of the same caliber as, say, Sbisa or Gardiner(and he's a completely different player than Mitera), but he's got potential as a pretty solid top 4 defenseman if he could just find a way to put his game together. Great mobility, good hands, and he seems to have a solid positional game. His problems seem more mental. (I guess TJM already mentioned that)

I'm not so sold on Festerling yet because he did well with Niedermayer, but seemed like a liability without him. Salcido just needs to prove, in my opinion, that he can be a two-dimensional player. We have two better defensemen with more offensive upside (and more all-around talent) than Salcido in Gardiner and Sbisa, and it really isn't that close in terms of what I think they can bring over him. If Vatanen can grow a few inches, he'd be another one. Vatanen has, in my opinion, the talent of a top 10 draft pick... but he's currently undersized.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote