View Single Post
Old
08-21-2009, 10:31 AM
EmptyNetter

vCash: 500
Jeebuz! Is this what hockey marketing has done to us? Somebody says Bauer xxxx's are the bees knees and without comparing their fit to other brands, other models, we just look for the best priced pair? (Sorry for the rant)

IMO this is a great opportunity -- picking out new skates on your own. They're your most important piece of hockey equipment and if you've got $350 to spend you should be looking to buy "the last pair of skates you'll ever own" even if you end up replacing them 5 years from now. To me that means trying on as many skates as it takes to find the right ones (in your price range) before you start worrying how much money you can save.

The first pair of adult skates I bought (CCM Tacks, don't remember the model) were from a big box store so the sales help wasn't as knowledgable as most LHS staffers. Also I had no interest at playing hockey -- they were just for casual rink skating. I got used to their feel and liked the high ankle support they gave me even when I started playing weekly pickup hockey. Early this year I decided to invest in a new pair. The ones I bought are Easton S7's -- they're so much different, so much more appropriate for my style of skating. They're also the right size -- I bought the Tacks based on my sneaker size. The Eastons are lighter and the ankle is cut lower. With more bend in my ankle I use my edges more. I can stop quicker and turn sharper than I ever could before. Until I got used to them I was afraid I'd always be turning my ankle but my ankles are plenty strong. Bottom line is -- if you upgrade your skates you can upgrade your skating IF you're wearing the size and style that's right for you.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote