View Single Post
Old
08-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Stripes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Are you serious? You take the role of refs waaaay to serious. They do look at curves occasionaly, because that it obvious, even if it is not their official job. That I have witnessed and been the vicitim of directly.

Regarding them examining equipement... never, in 35 years of organized top tier hockey have I ever seen this. The closest it comes is an untied skate lace, or goalie pad strap. If it is blatant, like a 2 inch long, 1 inch wide crack down the front of the helmet, they will notice it, otherwise... they just won't.
I am a referee. There is no such thing as taking my role too seriously when I'm paid to do a job and in a position of being responsible (to a certain degree) for player safety. Don't forget, in "top tier hockey", the officials are being supervised as well, and if they don't catch these things, it is noted on their evaluation.

If a referee takes it upon himself to check a curve (back when there was a such thing as an illegal curve), then he was overstepping his bounds as a referee.

Most players don't notice when I'm looking at equipment during a warmup. We're not examining the players, we're watching them as they warmup for anything noticeable that is against the rules and under our responsibility to control.

Also, in a lot of top tier hockey, leagues/associations put the teams through regular equipment checks, so there isn't usually a lot to notice. The most common things I catch with players during warmup are neck guards not done up properly, chin straps that aren't tight enough and pants that are torn or unzipped on the inside of the leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
In lower leagues, Mom and Dad, or the young player himself is paying for the gear. Money is always an issue. For litgeous reasons in the States, I understand never recommending playing with a cracked helmet. But it true terms... the degree to which safety is reduced is debatable.
I'm not arguing that. However, liability is an issue. If I catch a player with even a small crack like the one in this thread, that player is getting a new helmet or he's not playing. In the small chance that something does happen, and I allowed him to play knowing the helmet was cracked, I am liable.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote