View Single Post
Old
08-22-2009, 10:11 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckster24 View Post
I realize that and wasn't trying to compare the two. No doubt Sbisa has huge upside and potential as a top pairing d-man. I just haven't heard much about him being an offensive minded defenseman like I have about Gardiner. Salcido has huge offensive upside and has proven it at the last two levels he has played at, so to say the other two have higher offensive potential is saying a lot.
Sbisa's draft year was his rookie year in the WHL. So he didn't score that many points (33 in 63 games). But he had a tremendous playoffs offensively, with 15 points in 19 games.

When returned to the WHL last season, as an 18 year old, he had another great run of 15 points in 18 games. Although his playoffs wasn't so good in 09, with only 3 points in 11 games.

But here's some quotes from Sbisa himself. http://www.nhlentrydraft2008.com/fea...&playerID=1012
Quote:
On his style of play: I think I'm more of an offensive defender who has some skill up front. I try to play good defense – make the first pass, try to hit some guys and just keep it simple.

On patterning his game after Montreal's Mark Streit: I like his play – he can play many positions, power-play, penalty-killing. He can play as a forward and also defend. I used to play forward until two years ago, so I think I could handle this, too, if I had to.

On becoming a defenseman: Actually in my junior years, when I was younger, I used to play center more, and then the coaches said if we are short defenders, I had to play offense and defense. Then they asked me what I wanted to play and I said, defense. I like this, play more and I see me more in this position.
Interesting fact that he as a forward before moving to defense. Like Gardiner, and some other prospect from the same draft that one of our scouts mentioned played forward (Shultz? Hegarty? Pryor? Didn't McMillan also play defense this season?). So as a former forward, that may mean that he has some more offensive upside because he might have a forward's puckhandling skills. As recent converts to defense, Sbisa and Gardiner might have more offensive ability than their numbers might suggest since they could still be getting used to playing the position.

That said, I believe at draft time he was billed more as a 2-way guy than an offensive producer. Good at both offense and defense. Perhaps not exceptional at either.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote