View Single Post
Old
08-23-2009, 02:19 AM
RR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
On second thought, you're right -- I was being a bit too harsh with VT's ranking. I've now bumped him up on my list.
I'm actually glad someone placed VT in the middle as that is exactly where he belongs, and why it is so important to target players like Upshall, Lombardi, Korpikoski and Vrbata. Players like that make VT better. Takes the pressure off and let's him develop. Same thing for kids like Turris and Boedker who project as top six players, but get some cover from younger vets who are just entering their prime.

When Maloney dealt Sjostrom, LeNeveau and Gratton for Marcel Hossa and Montoya my first thought was, WTF? Yet Montoya is the last-man-standing in that deal, and he may still pan out as a quality #1A or #2 NHL goalie. He was never going to unseat Lundqvist, but he should have caught Bryz's attention down the stretch last year.

And that seems to be Maloney's approach: bring in former 1st-rounders and younger vets who can push the old guys to show they deserve to keep a job; and show the young guys that hard work and perseverance can lead to success in the NHL.

A 1st-rounder who hasn't achieved star status by age 21 isn't a failure. That notion is too prevalent amongst fans and organizations. Maloney seems to get that and is willing to roll the dice and acquire former 1st-rounders who didn't pan out for the organizations that drafted them. Yet he doesn't overpay. (OK, maybe he overpaid for Hale a bit, a bit, just a bit ).

RR is offline   Reply With Quote