View Single Post
Old
08-23-2009, 05:53 AM
Zim

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
Hickey no question

Subban's stats are obviously better but Hickey has been underrated ever since the WJC when he didn't play his best. I would bet money half the people who have posted in this thread are basing 90% or higher of their opinion on him just on his play in the WJC.

Had 51 points in 57 games for Seattle, the next closest defenseman had 21 points. The dub is a more tight league than the OHL, harder to get points in. I watched him carry that team into the playoffs. He was friggin plus 37, the next closest player was plus 16. The stats lie sometimes but there is no way in hell those do, proves he's all-around dominant and a top 20 prospect in the game. And unlike a certain Canadien's prospect he has pro experience. He put up a PPG in his time with the Monarchs in the AHL.
I'm not going to talk about the rest of the post but you make some interesting points here.

Subban's closest competitor on the blueline for Belleville was Lalonde (a year younger than Subban) who had stats of:

66gp 19g 34a 53pts +29 - Regular season
17gp 3g 9a 12pts +2 - Playoffs
Made the Eastern Conferance All-Stars team along with Subban.

Hickey's closest competitor on Seattle's blueline was Acoslaste (slightly older than Hickey) who had stats of:

70gp 7g 14a 21pts -15 - Regular season
5gp 1g 1a 2pts -1 - Playoffs

Obviously Hickey played on a weaker team than Subban so you would expect him to have a greater difference between his nearest competitor but then again you must think that Subban playing on a better team has more help putting up points, getting a better +\- and more help from his partner defensively. With these things taken into account i think it's hard to take the stats at face value. In the end i'd take Hickey just because as a gut feeling i think he'll be better. However, that is not to say that Subban will be bad and the difference between the two will likely not end up being as large as it was on draft day.