View Single Post
Old
08-24-2009, 06:28 AM
OCanada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
All I can say is I have a 8 year old son who plays net (2 years now) in Pickering house league. And I play afternoon shinny with a few woman who play at an Olympic level. As well I know a few other woman who play either ringett or hockey on woman's leagues.

I have been hearing in the news about the declining numbers in hockey in Canada. I think the first issue that should be looked at is the price of Leagues and equipment in Canada. $450.00 for a 20 game league for an 8 year old is excessive at best and criminal at worst.
Running a League or sponsoring a house league team in Canada is a cash cow.
While cost is always an issue, other youth sports are quite expensive too. Figure Skating is costly as is gymnastics etc. I don't think hockey is too out of line.
In my area it costs $200/yr to play. With that you get 2 practices a week starting in early October and ending in late March. You get 20 league games, 10 exhibition games and then tournaments are extra but only amount to about $100.
The biggest complaint I hear from parents is the comittment. 2 practices during the week and then games basically every weekend. Games start in November and go right to April. We don't mind if parents take a weekend off or two but alot of parents find it easier to just not sign up and not have to worry about "letting the team down" by missing the odd weekend.
Personally, there is no place I would rather be in the winter than at the arena watching my son play hockey!

OCanada is offline   Reply With Quote