View Single Post
Old
08-24-2009, 09:53 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I like Malone, I doubt he'll be my number one though. When I think Malone, I think of a player somewhere in between Mike Bossy and Brett Hull, and appropriately he'll probably end up about half way between the two. Of the great pre-consolidation players I rank him behind Frank Nighbor, who is not yet up for voting (which is a shame IMO).
Quote:
Taking into account the span of 1956-57 to 1967-68, Pilote scored 30% more points than the next best blueliner, who happens to be Tim Horton. Both of these players also had a Smythe-caliber performances on the '61 Hawks and '62 Leafs respectively.
It seems I have the same problem with Horton (vs. Siebert) than you have with Malone (vs. Nighbor)... Both were dominant standout defensive D-Men whose offensive game was decent (without being really awesome), both were really tough guys who didn't really abused others, both had a CS performance...

Quote:
Only two goaltenders in this round, and I had both of them close together on my original list. I think Tretiak's Soviet MVP record might give him the edge over Durnan here, and the fact that he was generally considered a generational goaltender. Durnan's peak is excellent though, and I really don't see much separating him and Dryden. If you had Dryden high on your list last round, you should probably give Durnan the same treatment (and if not, I'm very open to some arguments as to why). The two ex-Habs seem kind of like the Sakic/Yzerman of goaltenders in terms of comparability.
There were indeed close to each other. Durnan "relative" playoffs woes vs Dryden playoffs success were what separated them. I also considered Durnan to have better competition than Dryden. (In other words, Broda was better than Espo, Brimsek was better than Vachon, and so), hence why the gap between Durnan and Dryden being pretty low.

This said, Durnan isn't the only one to blame for the playoffs woes, and that's reflected in pretty much EVERY rankings of the reminder of the Punch Line. As few have said in a related topic, there isn't much, stats wise and even trait-wise, that separates Milt Schmidt from Elmer Lach, yet their respective ranking is kindof wide apart. The Habs also had two guys whose placement in a Top-100 would absolutely make sense on defense and another one (Glen Harmon) which saw only four guys get more AST berths than he did during the span of his career. (it's really not the big three, but a point could be made that the Habs had the best 1st d-men, the best 2nd d-men and the best 3rd d-men of the league during his whole tenure.)

Last edited by MXD: 08-24-2009 at 10:09 PM.
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote