View Single Post
Old
08-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
To me, the biggest bust in NHL history is Daniel Dore. Reasoning?

1) high draft position - 5th overall in the deep 1988 draft.

2) terrible, terrible player - 17 NHL games, career high of 22 points in the AHL. Compared to 'busts' who played 300-400 NHL games and were sort of serviceable, he's just a steaming pile of crap.

3) players taken immediately behind him - Dore was taken #5 overall; the #7-10 players in the 1988 Entry Draft were Martin Gelinas, Rod Brind'Amour, Jeremy Roenick, and Teemu Selanne.

I don't think you can find a more useless pick taken that highly ahead of so many elite players. Dan Woodley is one of the few that are close.
This is a pretty good argument. For me, for a player to qualify as "biggest bust", they must be a high pick (at least top 10, preferably top 5, bonus points for number 1) who falls into one of the following two categories:

1. A total bust, someone who didn't make the NHL at all or made it briefly and sucked so bad he played his way out of the league in short order.

2. A player who had an underwhelming yet serviceable NHL career, but who was drafted as a "generational talent/franchise savior/next big thing"-type player and never came close to fulfilling that role.

Players get bonus points if anyone drafted in the first few picks after them ended up being a superstar.

Examples of category 1 include Daniel Dore, Jason Bonsignore, Alexander Volchkov, and Pavel Brendl, while examples of category 2 include Alexandre Daigle and Brian Lawton. A guy like Patrik Stefan, who was picked 1st overall but in a bad draft and managed 7 mediocre NHL seasons, doesn't really scream "biggest bust" to me.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote