Old
08-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Robert
BOB

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachWithNoTeam View Post
Looking at the direction management has chosen, to build through the draft and around the young core - Brassard, Voracek, Filatov, Mason, Russell, etc - makes me wonder when the next time we'll see a $3M+ free agent signing or acquisition will be. Obviously, most of our budget space will be invested in resigning the young kids.

Then you look at the contracts coming off the books after this off-season: Vermette, Torres, Modin, Klesla - With Boll and Russell as RFA's

Russell and Vermette are locks for being resigned... and Boll as a probably.

Modin is pretty much gone after this season. Torres could stay, depending on his asking price, but I would think that his money would go towards the kids. Klesla seems like a wildcard, but is probably gone.

Assuming those 3 are the only ones gone, thats $7.1M in space, but the jackets would be short a top 4 defenseman and two third-line forwards.
Modin's contract would probably cancel out with the raise that Brassard will be due. And probably the same for Torres' contract with Russell...

Anyway, our top six is set for the next few years, with holes only opening up at bottom six wings, which we have plenty of in our system...

So when are we going to see another move above maybe a Pahlsson type contract...
Of the players you mentioned alot depends on how they play this coming season. I really liked the way Torres came on at the end of the season and Vermette barely had time to settle in, both will probably be resigned. Klesla on the other hand may want to try a new team, he could be traded at the deadline.

As for that 5 million dollar or more splash player I don't think it will happen in the near future, unless we are one great player shy of the Stanley Cup..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote