View Single Post
Old
08-25-2009, 09:00 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
I agree. I had Dryden higher also.

I feel that the Devils were so good defensively that for many years it was really difficult to tell how good Brodeur was. His first two Vezina years his backups had significantly better goals against and save percentages. Both seasons Brodeur was fourth in goals against but not in the top 10 in save percentage in the league. Dryden always said playing behind the great Canadien's teams kept him from maintaining a high level of performance. Perhaps if Brodeur played on a different team he may have had less records but would be ranked higher here. Or perhaps not.
The thing about Dryden, too, is that he had a dominant regular season and playoff sv%, and Brodeur didn't always.

Dryden's playoff sv% rankings: 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 5, 5, 5. (in his 8 qualifying playoffs - the only 8 he played in)
regular season: 1, 1, 1, 2, 5 (in the five seasons we know of: 75, 76, 77, 78, 79)

Brodeur's playoff sv% rankings: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8. (in his 8 qualifying playoffs)
regular season: 3, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8. (from 15 qualifying seasons)

*playoff rankings are among the 8 goalies with most playoff minutes that season.

* regular season rankings are among goalies with at least 25 GP.

Last edited by seventieslord: 08-25-2009 at 09:11 PM.