View Single Post
Old
08-25-2009, 10:31 PM
erfus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshea View Post
W/R/T sending Bard down...would the K-Rod rules be any sort of an issue if he's down there past 8/31 when that kicks in. I assume not since he's been on the 25 man for the majority of the year, but I always get confused with that rule and who is/isn't eligible for the postseason roster. I know you have to be acive on 8/31 to be post season eligible, and that the exception is DL'd guys, but Im not sure how it goes for optioned guys that are healthy.
From what I've gathered, the DL loophole is vast and mighty. Here's a good explanation:
http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/...eck_these_out/

Quote:
The rules for postseason eligibility make any player on the team’s 25-man roster or on the DL as of August 31 eligible for the postseason. The rules also allow a team to replace any player on its postseason roster who is injured and cannot play with any other player who was in the organization on August 31, and who plays the same position (the “Francisco Rodriguez” clause).
The Sox have pitcher Miguel Gonzalez (Rule 5 draft pick) on the 60-day DL, so I don't think there's any worry about demoting Bard in that regard. We'll see what happens tomorrow, it wouldn't surprise me much if they cut Penny but it does reduce the pitching depth a little bit in the organization. But, with Paul Byrd coming back and DiceK starting to rehab, it's probably no big deal.

I guess next week they'll probably also call up Kottaras, Lowrie, Bailey, and Anderson in addition to pitching depth.