View Single Post
Old
08-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
He's listed on the rookie camp roster as being 5'9", which is probably closer to the truth then the 5'10" that the NHL had him listed at.

As the profile mentions, he's got good wheels and good skills, but isn't big enough and more importantly strong enough to get through the traffic. Give him some space and he'll burn you, but he's going to find himself with less and less space as he advances.

He's one of those players that needs to show something "more" before he can be considered a viable prospect. Whether it's more strength, more grit, more speed, he needs to be able to overcome the size disadvantage, while still advancing in his other attributes.

I remember talking with a scout a few years ago about a player (don't recall who, I remember that he went undrafted and has faded from the radar just as much as he's faded from my memory). The kid was 5'8 or 5'9 and the scout told me that with a guy that size, there needs to be something more to him. He can't just be skilled, he has to be skilled and faster than everyone else on the ice or skilled and solid and strong or skilled with a heart bigger than everyone else on the ice.

In Goulet's case, I'm not saying he's not there or he doesn't have it. Hell, I ranked him in my top 10 for my article on the 25 QMJHL prospects for the 2009 draft and obviously he was doing something right to score all those goals. But that's what he needs to showcase. Not just his skillset, but also something more.

Goulet played most of the season on a line with Gabriel Bourque (another 2009 who was drafted by Nashville, he was a bit more of an all-weather player, which probably is why he got picked up) and Felix Petit (a 20-year-old veteran). All three were under 5'10, but extremely talented and quick in the offensive zone. To watch them play was kinda astounding; a lot of cycling the puck and making defenders look foolish.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote