View Single Post
Old
08-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Hockey Outsider

vCash: 500
Here is the raw data I have regarding Hart trophy data. Two disclaimers. First, this post isn't intended to be an argument for/against any player (though it can be used to support a position). Second, keep in mind that Hart trophy voting standards appear to have changed over time and are probably not directly comparable.

PLAYER FIRST SECOND THIRD FOURTH FIFTH TOTAL
Francis "King" Clancy 2 1 2 5
Andy Bathgate 1 1 1 1 4
Max Bentley 1 1 1 3
Bill Durnan 1 1 1 3
Aubrey "Dit" Clapper 1 1 2
Henri Richard 2 2
Earl Seibert 2 2
Peter Forsberg 1 1
Clint Benedict* 1 1
Walter "Turk" Broda 1 1
Richard "Dickie" Moore 1 1
Tim Horton 0
Jari Kurri 0
Boris Mikhailov** 0
Pierre Pilote 0

* Played part of his career outside of the NHL, and part before the Hart was first awarded in 1923-24
** Played entire career outside of NHL

- Clancy's terrific Hart trophy record surprised me. His earliest season as a Hart finalist was 1926-27, meaning that it was after the NHL consolidated all of North America's talent. (Thus he wasn't racking up Hart trophy voters against only a portion of the world's hockey talent).
- Several players (Moore, Richard, Kurri) potentially suffer from vote-splitting with their other dynasty teammates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shadows View Post
And in the end, only focusing on PPG is going to overlook a huge part of Kurri's game. His stellar defensive play.
A while ago I made a post on players who routinely finished in the top ten in scoring & Selke trophy voting in the same year. Obviously I can only go back to 1977-78 (the first year the Selke was awarded) but Kurri was the best player by this standard. He had a remarkable six seasons in the top ten in scoring & Selke voting.

Francis (4) and Gilmour, Sakic and Forsberg (3 each) were the next closest players.

Last edited by Hockey Outsider: 08-31-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote