View Single Post
Old
08-31-2009, 06:10 PM
Hockey Outsider

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
To me its amazing that he could be in the top 5 in assists for 9 years playing (RW) on a team with so little offense. As an example, in '56-'57 Bathgate had 50 assists while the leader amongst centers on the Rangers (Dave Creighton) had 21 assists. Bathgate led the team with 77 point, next closest was Andy Hebenton with 44 points.
I'll admit that in the last edition of the Top 100 project, I didn't appropriately lower Bathgate's ranking due to some weak playoff performances. With that said, Bathgate scored an enormous amount of points with virtually no help.

Bathgate finished in the top five in scoring nine times in his career -- third best all time. Only Howe and Gretzky beat that! Only Lemieux, Mikita and Richard tie that.

The most impressive thing is that Bathgate accomplished this playing on a weak team with (what appears to be) basically no offensive help from his teammates. Five times, Bathgate cracked the top five in scoring without any other teammate making it into the top ten. Even when he had a teammate join him, they were basically one-year wonders (Dave Creighton, Red Sullivan, Andy Hebenton) or a quality defensive forward having a career year (Dean Prentice). No player during the Original Six era scored more with less help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
7 : Pierre Pilote : It kinda sucks that he was a great d-men in not such a great era for d-men (as far as individual talent is concerned). Delivered in the playoffs, as supported by HO's document (was that you?). But some evidence that he wasn't exactly a defensive ace (wasn't bad, but wasn't, let's say, Seibert) makes it hard for me to rank him ahead of Clancy.
Pilote absolutely delivered in the playoffs, probably more than any other Blackhawk during the sixties.

Despite winning only one Stanley Cup, Pilote was an elite playoff performer. He won the retro Conn Smythe in 1961 and led the playoffs in scoring (only the second defenseman to ever do so). Pilote led all defensemen in playoff scoring three times (1961, 1963 and 1964) and was runner-up three more times (1962, 1965 and 1967). In fact, from 1961 to 1967, Pilote outscored all other defensemen in the playoffs by a wide margin. Pilote’s 53 points in 61 games easily beats Tim Horton (35 in 63), J.C. Tremblay (32 in 56) and Allan Stanley (23 in 60). Furthermore, from 1961 to 1967, Pilote had more assists than any player (forward or defense) in the league and only Hull, Howe, Mikita, and Ullman scored more points in total.

My understanding is that Pilote was good & solid defensively, but not elite. I wondered if Pilote became more of a risk-taker during the playoffs (trading defense for offense) but I haven't found anything indicating that this was the case. Can anybody who was around during the sixties comment on this?

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote