View Single Post
Old
08-31-2009, 07:44 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
He's the best defenseman to skate for the team since Numminen was traded seven years ago. He was the team's best defenseman his rookie season, four years ago, and has been the team's best defenseman in every season since. Not only that, but he's been the team's second most valuable player in that span, with Shane Doan obviously being the MVP.

Those scouting reports are ridiculous. First and foremost, he's an extremely intelligent, shut-down defenseman. He relies on brains, rather than brawn. He also skates well, and moves the puck well. Those skills, combined with his smarts, give him the potential to produce more offensively than he has so far. Typically, though, he's given the task of either holding the hand of a less responsible defenseman, or shutting down the opposition's best players. Not exactly the right roles for a guy trying to let his offensive game blossom. I think when the team sucks less, you'll see his numbers rise.

As for his future with the club, I really hope that he's willing to sign at least a five year extension, or even a ten year deal. Somewhere in between would probably be best. Maybe something like six years, twenty one million, with a cap-hit of three and a half million per year. It would be a two hundred and fifty percent raise over what he was making, on average, in his last deal. I'd probably even go higher.

He is, without a doubt, the most underrated defenseman in the entire NHL.

Last edited by rt: 08-31-2009 at 07:50 PM.