View Single Post
Old
08-31-2009, 11:10 PM
Darth Milbury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
As someone who isn't a fan of either the Isles, Stars, or Maple Leafs...nor hates either of the 3, let me objectively ask 2 questions:

1) Is it possible Finger's $3.5M contract might be fair market value for the last 2 years of his contract? And when I say is it possible, there are 2 possibilities: A) His play improves; B) The cap goes up?

2) How does Finger compare to Derek Morris who just received a $3.3M contract.

While I don't think anyone in their right mind wouldn't take issue with their GM handing Finger a 3 year $3.5M contract today, I also think it's a bit ridiculous for people to say Finger will play out the entirety of his contract as a Leaf, given they don't know what the salary cap will look like 2 to 3 years down the road, or more importantly how Finger will play in 2 to 3 years.

The fact the original poster at least put some thought into this thread by targeting teams with cap space (even if they do have short-term spending issues) puts this thread in the top half, probably top 25% of threads in this forum.

Much more thought in fact than the responses which essentially guarantee Finger will play out the contract as a Leaf. Ironically, if he does, he'll probably be a pretty valuable player at the end of the contract.
I don't see how playing out his contract would make him a "pretty valuable player at the end." He doesn't seem to be getting a whole lot better, and the cap is likely to go down (or at least not rise) in the next year or two. He'll still be an overpaid #5 dman two years from now.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote