View Single Post
Old
09-02-2009, 11:03 PM
CanadaBacon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhockeyfootdoc View Post
Canadabacon...........

Sorry to hear about all the skate problems. I am a 3rd year podiatric medical student, and hopefully will be able to offer some helpful advice:

It is in fact a projection of bone off the side of your foot (base of your 5th metatarsal) that is rubbing your skate, and causing you the pain. It is your bodys natural defense to react to stress placed upon it (Wolfe's Law of bone).

As everyone one this site knows, NOT SKATING is definately out of the question. You could try to have the skate "punched" in that area to increase the amount of room in that specific area. Most proshops offer this service. Only bad part is it decreases the integrity of the boot, so it will break down the boot a little bit quicker. I have Vapor XXX's and had to punch the heel out on both for my Haglunds (which is massive, trust me), and the boot has broken down a bit quicker than I was hoping.

In addition to getting the skate punched, some type of donut pad over the bony prominence could help. Type in donut pad in google images to see a picture of what they look like. Put the hole over the most prominent area, and try to make everything "flesh" (use thick enough felt) so that your bone doesnt stick out past circle in the pad. This should offload the area, and disperse the forces causing it to irritate. Only drawback is keeping it in place, and accomodating for more room in a (probably) tight area of skate.

It's unfortunate that hockey skates tear apart our feet so much, but the stiff boot allows us to be able to maneuver in a manner that would otherwise break our ankles. As it has been said, its the nature of the beast.

Hopefully the advice helps!
Thanks, good post. I dont have skate problems though

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote