View Single Post
Old
09-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
how about the truth? the leafs defense was so bad that the quality of the shots that the goalies faced was better than the habs goalies faced.

thats the point leaf fans miss, you could have Luongo or King Henrik, or even Terry Sawchuck or Jacques Plante in goal, They would all have had horrid save percentages in front of that defense last year, because they left the goaltender on his own more often than not..... give Toskala a defense that actually played some defense and was positionally responsible and he might have had a .920 save percentage.

its the quality of shot a goalie has to defend against that made the leafs goalies look so bad
I actually think the truth is in the middle. I agree with Toronto fans who say that they goaltending was bad last year and that was part of the problem.

The goaltending being bad last year does not, however, explain why a defense unit built around the same core was so horrible the year before when goaltending was OK.

The truth is that Toronto had horrible goaltending and a horrendous defense last year. And, if not for very nice seasons by Blake and Antropov, and a suprisingly effective attack, the Leafs would have John Tavares right now. A decent attack is the only thing that stood between Toronto and the worst overall finish.

Ironically, this year I expect significant improvements in Toronto's defense and goaltending, but it is as least possible the offense will be even worst. Antropov is gone and Blake is one year older. If some of their nice young players don't step up, Toronto is going have a lot of problems putting the biscuit in the net.