View Single Post
Old
09-03-2009, 08:23 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Actually, it's not necessarily the "denial" that many people are reading it as. It may be, and it may be Lombardi's way of couching his thoughts in gentler words than he really means, but it may also be Lombardi making it clear to Murray that the asking price is too high and leaving the door open. Taken literally, all that Lombardi is saying is that the risk is probably not worth it because of Heatley's character. What's the risk? It's the price to pay, the price that Murray is asking for. It doesn't necessarily mean that, if the price is lowered, Heatley wouldn't be more interesting to the Kings, since a lower price means a lower risk. That's the door that Lombardi has left open through his words. If he wanted to close that door, he could've used far stronger and definitive wording than wishy-washy "we could, but we shouldn't" and uncertain question posing. For example, he could've said "we don't want him" rather than "we can't afford it" (which is another bit of wording suggestive that the price is at least as much of the issue as the player).

Now, that doesn't mean that Lombardi is actively in the hunt. I think that he's sincere in his being uninterested, but it doesn't necessarily mean that he'll never be interested. Afterall, if Murray were to decide to give Heatley away for free, you can bet that Lombardi and nearly all Kings fans would jump on it. Of course, Heatley won't be free; the point is that it's all about the price, i.e. the risk, and Lombardi likely has a price that he'd be willing to pay, so it makes no sense to close any doors right now. Murray will probably never lower his price that low (to match what Lombardi deems is acceptable risk in this situation) and Heatley to LA will probably not happen, as expected, but likely moreso because the sides had different ideas of Heatley's value, not that one side denied interest completely, regardless of price, as many are suggesting.
Hey cut that rational thought out! Did you get lost on your way to the logic bank and wind up here?

That is the most unbiased, fair reading of Lombardi's words you can give. Hextall on the other hand is a bit different. He outright said 'No way' on several occasions.

Now an interesting thing to note is that Lombardi has been quoted (can't remember where I read it, I'll try and dig it up) that Hextall takes cares care of the Pro sides of things while Lombardi is more interesting in development and scouting. Obviously Lombardi is the GM, and all decisions rest finally with him, but Hextall is the go-to guy for Pro scouting and (the following part is my own interpretation) plays more heavily than people think into trades and which players are targeted.

So take that for what it is worth. Lombardi, who has final say, hasn't closed to the door. However Hextall, who is always in Lombardi's ear and has been given most of the responsibility for monitoring players on other teams, has outright denied anymore than a passing interest in Heatley.

I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility. Its hard to tell sometimes what is posturing and what in unclouded information, so it certainly might happen if the price is VERY low (think the Smyth trade only a little better... Dean REALLY wanted Smyth, and still waited for the price to drop from Teubert and Bernier to Quincey and Preissing - that's patience), however more than likely Heatley will never don the Crown, for better or worse. To say that it is 'widely accepted' that the Kings 'are and will continue to push for Heatley', as the poster Bunny and I and others were arguing with, is really just silly.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote