View Single Post
Old
09-04-2009, 10:57 AM
God Bless Canada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I'm not sure if it affects the votes (probably not), but I didn't realize that Dit Clapper was the first player for whom the HOF waived the waiting period for induction. The other nine the HOF did this for are all in our top 30.
I think Clapper's longevity did play a role in that. He was the first player to play 20 seasons in the NHL, which is an absolutely incredible feat, especially when you consider the way in which he played the game, and the fact that they didn't have the advances in medicine they have now. He and Charlie Conacher were power forwards 50 years before the term was coined in hockey. As I said before, he's the one skater we'll debate who could truly do it all, and his career is among the best the sport will ever see. One of the few truly unique players who will be discussed outside of the top 50. (He's also one of the best leaders to ever play the game, for what it's worth).

One thing to note on Lindsay's induction: he initially retired after the 1959-60 season. He came back after missing four seasons. So he may have been inducted in 1965 anyways. I don't think voters felt like making a guy like Lindsay - who meant so much to the sport on and off the ice - wait another few years for enshrinement.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote