Thread: Proposal: Van/phi
View Single Post
Old
09-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Hi-wayman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Devils View Post
its been widely considered JVR needs a year of seasoning in the AHL.
I was fully aware both JVR and Schnieder could move up to the NHL this year, but both would be better off with another full year in the minors.

Don't get me wrong. I think JVR is a very good prospect that any team would want, but the Canucks don't have an need for him this season or next.

Likely Canucks Lineup this Season:

D Sedin – H Sedin – Sameulsson
Burrows – Kesler – Demitra
Raymond – Wellwood – Bernier
Hordichuk/Johnson – Rypien – Hanson

Likely Canucks Lineup Next Season:

D Sedin – H Sedin – Sameulsson
Raymond – Hodgson - Bernier
Burrows – Kesler – Shirokov/Grabner
Rypien - Wellwood - Hanson

The top 3 lines are very balanced and there is no sense in trying to acquire a player of JRV's calibre just to keep him in the minors. Heck, we won't have room for Schroeder either if he's ready to play in the NHL. Gillis has done a wonderful job in filling holes that needed filling when he took over as GM. This is going to be a very competitve camp this week because there is an even bigger log jam on defense.

The Canucks could use a true #1 or franchise level defenseman and a franchise level forward, but teams don't trade those players unless it's for other franchise level players. JVR and Schnieder both have the potential to be #1 players at their position, but niether would be considered game controlling, franchise level players. Those players have to be drafted and that is why I'd rather see the Canucks trade for draft picks than for players or prospects. The two best times to make those kind of trades is either right after training camp when a team realizes their prospects couldn't fill a major hole on the team or at the trade deadline.

Last edited by Hi-wayman: 09-04-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote