View Single Post
09-05-2009, 08:00 AM
vCash: 500
LW Dan Maloney

The classic "team guy" that any team needs in order to win.

- 6'2", 195 lbs
- 7 seasons with 17+ goals
- 192 goals, 451 points, 1489 PIMs in 737 games
- Career adjusted +60!
- 115 NHL fights, his fight card includes multiple bouts against many heavyweights (O'Reilly, Williams, Plett, Harper, Green, Fleming, and many other good ones I can't name)

Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
This Irishman may have been quiet and soft-spoken off the ice but on the ice he was anything but. Dan Maloney was a charismatic leader who always stuck up for his teammates. As a result he was he was always popular in the dressing room wherever he played.

The Chicago Black Hawks liked Dan's rugged play and claimed him in the 1970 amateur draft (1st choice,14th overall). Dan quickly established himself as one of the leagues premier pugilists. He won some memorable fights as a rookie, but he also contributed offensively. Over the years Dan fought the toughest players and won many of his fights, even though a serious shoulder injury slowed him down a bit in later years. He was never afraid to drop 'em. His fearless attitude was his greatest ally in the NHL trenches.

"Losing Maloney was a big blow to what we were trying to accomplish in LA. He was our leader, a much respected player," Pulford said.

In his first season with the Red Wings Dan equaled his career high 66 points. In Detroit he quickly became GM Ted Lindsay's favorite player and became the team captain. Lindsay, who himself was one of the toughest players of his era, appreciated Dan's similar style of play.

Not only Dan was excited to land in Toronto, Leafs GM Jim Gregory said. " A big need on our team was a tough, aggressive left winger and no one filled the bill better than Maloney."

Bruins coach Don Cherry, a noted expert on hockey's tough guys, was envious.

"At the time the trade was made, I said that it was a good one for the Leafs. They picked up a good, tough, experienced winger who fitted (sic) right in with what the team was trying to do."

Dan was certainly no speed demon on his skates, but he worked very hard to improve his skating. He lacked the natural scorer's touch around the net and had to work hard for everything he accomplished. His strength wasn't only his right and left fists but also his overall work ethic and leadership qualities. Dan was a really good cornerman and stood his ground around the enemy net.
Originally Posted by Dan Maloney
"I never counted the number of fights I've been in or how many I won or lost. It doesn't matter how many fights you win, anyway. It's how many times you show up for them that counts."
Originally Posted by March 23rd, 1974 NHL Coaches Poll - Toronto Star
Best Fighter - Dan Maloney (runners-up J. Bob Kelly, Garry Howatt, Dave Schultz, Bob Kelly)
Originally Posted by February 21st, 1976 NHL Coaches Poll - Toronto Star
Best Fighter - Dan Maloney (runners-up Larry Robinson, J. Bob Kelly, Dave Schultz)
Originally Posted by February 17th, 1979 NHL Coaches Poll - Toronto Star
Best Bodychecker - Denis Potvin (runners-up Dan Maloney, Bob Gainey, Terry O'Reilly)

Last edited by seventieslord: 09-13-2009 at 01:00 AM.
seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote