View Single Post
Old
09-06-2009, 05:02 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post

Personal side story: I joined a 20-guy board draft that '91 playoffs, a real cardboard board draft, old style, where each guy pays $20 and selects ten offensive players and their names are written in ink on the board and the guy to have the most points at the end of the playoffs wins the whole jackpot. I was in college and was late joining, but convinced my college buddies to take my $20 as a late entry, they laughing at how I could possibly assemble a team AFTER they had each selected 10 players (10x10=100 players had already been drafted!). But I had noticed that they had only drafted ONE North Star. And I was a fan of the team and thought them capable of upsetting a team or two (never dreamed they'd get past Edmonton). I KNEW how good Casey was (or thought I knew, his peak being shorter and greater than I'd thought). So I drafted Modano, Broten, Bellows, Propp, and a couple of other Minnesota players, threw in Joe Mullen and Scott Young and another guy of the Penguins because Mario if healthy was going to the Finals, of that I was sure. And some Bruins player i can't recall. Anyways, I rode my ten boys al the way to the top of the standings, allll rigghhht! My college buds were amazed, impressed, but mostly pissed off and shocked. But then Mario turned it on and I lost to the guy who drafted Lemieux, Stevens, and several rounds later nabbed Janney. From 21st to 2nd in the draft. I won squat in terms of money but plenty in terms of respect. The following postseason I was invited into two extra drafts, though nothing came of them (I didn't win a hockey pool until I bet on Kolzig and the Caps to go all the way in '98).
I run a draft every year, and my brother missed one for the 2006 playoffs, and wanted to do the exact same thing you did. I asked all the guys, but one objected so I had to say no. He was going to pick all oilers. I hung on to his picks anyway. and he would have won!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Toledo selects:

[CENTER]G Billy Nicholson

1902 Stanley Cup Champion

Hockey Notes:
He was my top choice as a backup. Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
Regina selects LW Pete Horeck and RW Dallas Drake
Thanks LF. Please make my next one tomorrow. Turns out this campsite has wireless internet, but this will be the full extent of my use of it.

Regina has now qualified for the playoffs. Aucoin is my 2009 guy, and Drake is my 1990's guy.

see y'all later!

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote