View Single Post
Old
09-07-2009, 05:53 AM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triffy View Post
He's not as offensively limited as the descriptions of him could make you believe.

I picked him because of his defensive abilities and the physical dimension. But I don't want my players to be completely useless with the puck. Cooper's 3 top-10 finishes prove that he was not.
No they do not prove any such thing!!!

HE WAS COMPLETELY USELESS WITH THE PUCK his first season with 3 points in 48 games.
HE WAS COMPLETELY USELESS WITH THE PUCK his second full season with 5 points, the worst among all team starters, the next worst was 12 points by a defensive winger.
HE WAS COMPLETELY USELESS WITH THE PUCK his third full season with only one skater worse over the season (though Earl Seibert had one less point in 12 less games played).
HE WAS COMPLETELY USELESS WITH THE PUCK his fourth full season with again just one skater worse than him in points over the season, Cooper getting 10 and the next worst was 17 (even Seibert got 20 this season).
He had ONE season of significant numbers in 1941-42 when his 20 points were much better than two other dmen on the team and not far off the two dmen ahead of him on the team.
He had a fantastic huge asterix season in 1944-45 the depleted war year when he was one of only four Blackhawks to play a full season.
HE WAS COMPLETELY USELESS WITH THE PUCK his seventh full season, finishing one point ahead of the worst producing skater on the team, Reg Hamilton.
HE WAS COMPLETELY USELESS WITH THE PUCK his eighth and last full NHL season, with the Rangers, two points ahead of least point producing skater, Juzda.

Joe Cooper is not a puck skilled defenseman. And the two war years production (of which only one is significant, 1941/42 when players hadn't left en masse and when most players still played a full season) means nothing in an ALL-TIME context.

Joe Cooper was "one of the biggest and strongest players of his day, and he used his physical superiority whenever possible". He was there to HIT, to check his man along the boards and behind the net and play defensively.

You need more than a misleading stat to show otherwise (sorry, a pet peeve).

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote