View Single Post
Old
09-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Morinisbear

vCash: 500
Interesting read on JVR

I'm not sure if this was posted, or where to put it. Feel free to move it if need be.

Flyers' Van Riemsdyk doesn't mind comparisons to Blackhawks' Kane

Quote:
VOORHEES, N.J. -- In the 2007 draft, Patrick Kane was chosen No. 1 overall, and the right winger has had two impressive seasons with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Flyers fans bemoaned receiving the No. 2 pick in the 2007 lottery, even though the team finished with the NHL's lowest point total (56).

With that pick, the Flyers chose winger James van Riemsdyk, a Middletown, N.J., native who will always draw comparisons to Kane.

That doesn't bother the player known as "JVR" and "Reemer." Indeed, van Riemsdyk (pronounced van reems dike) welcomes the comparisons.

"It's no pressure at all; it gives me more confidence just because I put myself in a similar level to play like him," van Riemsdyk said after the first on-ice workouts were held at the Flyers' rookie camp yesterday in Voorhees. "He's having some good success, so hopefully, I can follow off him."

Van Riemsdyk, 20, played the last two years at the University of New Hampshire.

Players develop at different rates. Sidney Crosby was drafted No. 1 overall in 2005 and quickly turned into a star. The player drafted No. 2 that season, Cherry Hill's Bobby Ryan, took several years before he became an NHL force and last season had 31 goals for Anaheim.

The Flyers would be ecstatic if van Riemsdyk blossomed along the lines of Ryan. New Flyer Ryan Dingle, who played with Ryan in the AHL, said van Riemsdyk and Ryan have similar personalities and aren't weighed down by expectations.

"They don't let it get to them," said Dingle, who, along with van Riemsdyk and Patrick Maroon, is among the candidates for open wing spots. "They're both phenomenal character guys and both great, great hockey players. And once they get that chance, they'll get their foot in the door. There's a reason why they were drafted No. 2. I'm excited to see the future of James."
Click link for full article

Last edited by Opus: 09-09-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote