Thread: Proposal: Trade Proposal: Anton Babchuk
View Single Post
Old
09-09-2009, 10:06 AM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
I would love it if it were true, and we may get to a point of desperation and absolutely HAVE (ie. our ownership/president realize that we are going to be buried if we don't do something) to exceed that budget, but for now, the budget is the budget.

There is definitely time to wait, but I would rather have that new guy in before camp starts, but we clearly aren't desperate at this point. On paper, yes, but we are still tied for first place as of today.
I have no idea what the internal discussion would be on this guy. He's a project and the idea of him and Russell being the 5/6 doesn't fill me with joy. Having said that, he fills a need so the net result could very well be a gain. Perhaps a large one. Then again he could implode and end up being scratched.

What is this guys salary demands? If you can sign him for 2 or 3 years for a couple of million per, I think you can tweak the current roster and come up some of the cash to offset the dollars.

As far as desperation goes, I'm trying to be realistic. We've put together a decent group of d for 12.8 million, 27th in the league. Honestly, it's a testiment to the players and the coaching staff that we've managed to be competitive with that investment (if you take out Backman's money last year we were like 29th in spending) considering the teams floating around us with that level of investment as well. At this point, Howson has an obligation to the team, fans, coaching staff, and ownership group to resolve this issue. He's done a great job of patching together a group that can make us competitive, but he now has to finish the job. We got lucky on the injury front on the d group last year. When Klesla went down we could call on Methot. Not sure we can hope for that level or health or luck in the event of injury this year.

When you consider we are 30th in the league in spending on goaltending as well, that leads you to the conclusion that we've left ourselves exposed on the entire backend.

We have depth on Wing, but everywhere else we are simply treading water at best.

I'm not blaming Howson or the ownership group this situation. But there is a sense of desperation on my part. I can see the iceberg.

At the end of the day, are we really going to get the oppurtunity at anything better for the cost in near future? This is not my first choice, what we need isn't something that teams let walk.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote