View Single Post
Old
09-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Kiraly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Curious on Hungarian hockey. I know its getting stronger and stronger, but at the junior level, how does it compare to those nations who are just below the "top seven"? How does the talent level now compare to Austria, Belarus, Latvia, Kazaks, Denmark, Norway and i guess the Germans and Swiss? Are there any fringe NHL prospects likely to pop up in the next 5-10 years, or is it just the process of developing players who can compete at a successful level in the top European leagues such as the SEL.
I think the Swiss and the Germans are still a cut above the others. The number of registered players in both Switzerland and Germany is significantly higher than the other countries listed.

I don’t think there is a lot separating Austria, Belarus, Latvia, Denmark and Norway from each other at this time and I think the gap between these counties and Hungary (and Poland) is getting smaller. Depth is a different matter, but I think this too will change as the number of kids playing organized hockey in Hungary is increasing.

In the past U18-WC, Latvia, Denmark, and Austria were pretty even finishing 1, 2, and 3 in the Division 1B group.

In the Division 1A group, Belarus beat Hungary in a shootout, while both beat Kazakhstan. Belarus won the group, followed by Poland, Hungary, and the Kazakhs.

As for players potentially making the NHL, I think there could be a few from the list above that we might see get drafted by NHL clubs.

Kiraly is offline   Reply With Quote