Thread: Sportsnet: AV extension through 12-13
View Single Post
Old
09-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Alan Jackson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
to be fair, that was also a long time ago... it looks to me like he's acknowledged that to be a criticism of his, and has tried to change that opinion. He did coach the WJC and the W-U18 recently, and did very well working with young players in those tournaments. The players had nothing but great things to say about Quinn and both teams were champions.

Obviously it's not the NHL and we'll have to wait and see how he handles the young Oilers vs. the vets there... but for a guy who's been criticized about how he deals with young players in the past, the best thing he could have done was have that success with the juniors, and prove he could work well with young kids. We'll see if that translates to the NHL, but I believe, like players, coaches can evolve as well.

Not that I'm suggesting I'd rather have him than AV... just that I don't think it's fair to write him off based on his coaching style from years ago that saw him pushed out of the league.
This is way off topic, but the myth that Quinn can't coach young players was and is utter nonsense. He's had young players at every stop, he won U18 and U20 championships, and he'll do well with the younger players in Edmonton.

I'm on record as saying I would have preferred Pat Quinn to Alain Vigneault, but that ship has sailed. I'm ready to be on board with Vigneault, and I hope he's learned from past mistakes (there are plenty to choose from).

By the way, anybody praising the "strategy" that the Canucks put forth in Game Four needs to have their bloody heads examined. It was a disgrace. The Canucks tried the exact same thing earlier in the season against San Jose and got burned that time, too. You know what they say about the definition of insanity.

But again, that's water under the bridge.

I expect 2009/10 to be good year - for the Canucks and for the coach. The season can't begin soon enough.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote