View Single Post
09-11-2009, 02:37 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
8. Boris Mikhailov: One of the true greats of the Soviet regime. I'm not too concerned about what he did in the World Championships or the Olympics. Those weren't best on best tournaments, and in the case of the Worlds, they never will be. I'll take Mikhailov over Makarov because Mikhailov was tougher, grittier and a better overall hockey player.

14. Sergei Makarov: An interesting case. Unlike the other Soviet greats, we got to see Makarov in the show. The problem is, it was past his prime. He won the Calder Trophy in 1990 (and caused the league to change the rule on Calder eligibility in the process). He gets an incomplete for his NHL playoff record. A dynamic offensive force. His World Championship and Olympic accomplishments do nothing for me, but it is worth noting he was an all-star at the 84 Canada Cup.
So basically, their careers are worthless

I just can't understand that some people here act like all they were facing was a Poland, East or West Germany, Netherlands or even Finland.

As seen there (scroll down), Makarov faced Czechoslovakia 64 times, Mikhailov 57 times. Sweden 63 and 61 and various Team Canadas 54 and 46 times, respectively. Of the weaker teams, Finland was the only one they faced regularly.

I mean, do you even realize that they faced the same Czechoslovakia in WC and other international tournaments as in the Canada Cup? And that until 1973-74, it was the best possible Sweden that played in the WCs too? And besides, do you think that any other team outside Canada would have given them major problems (regularly) even with their best possible lineup? USA? Nope. Finland? Nope. Sweden (after '73-'74). No, not even them. Hockey is/was ridiculously small sport, and when you got the Soviet Union and Czechoslovakia, you got 2 out of 3 best teams in the World (maybe the only ones that REALLY mattered).

It was like...

Canada, Soviet Union

+ rest...

Now, if you noticed some weaknesses in Mikhailov and/or Makarov, when they faced Canada, that's fine, but if you didn't, I really don't see the problem. Or why don't you just simply take the stand that those guys never proved themselves (a la Ogopogo), so you don't care about them... rather than give them, for want of a better word, backhanded compliments?

Last edited by VMBM: 09-11-2009 at 05:48 AM.
VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote