View Single Post
Old
09-15-2009, 12:00 PM
salzy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
It is not a red herring. When there's smoke there's usually fire, and smoke follows Lindros around everywhere he goes. Why would I bother getting into it with someone who clearly has no intention of being intellectually honest?
In other words "I can't come up with anything specific, so I'll stick to alluding to personal insults, rumour and innuendo".

Quote:
As for Buzz Hargrove, are you even remotely familiar with his record? If you were, you'd realize how shocking it is that the players would allow themselves to be associated with him. It does speak to their level of unawareness. Buzz Hargrove is the last man you want answering media questions on your behalf.
LMAO - he asks the guys sitting in Windsor, Ontario...

Seriously dude, until you can come up with something concrete and not baseless insults, this is really a futile exercise. Here's a hint though - "where there's smoke there's fire" and "it's generally accepted" aren't specific.

Quote:
What does that even mean? Of course none of us will be leading them. Who said otherwise?
What does it mean? It means contrary to your misconceptions, the public relations hits the players took in this ordeal are completely irrelevant. They needed to do what was right for their union, not for you and me.

Quote:
The fact is that they've taken a major PR hit and every action they take is now going to view through this prism. The wide perception is that the players are not capable of running the union and that they are prone to bad decisions
I'll say it again - the "wide perception" doesn't matter.

Quote:
And the owners didn't buckle because they got all the cover they needed. The only thing that could have kept the league from getting its salary cap was pressure from the fans. Instead, the fans typically went great lengths to defend the billionaires from the millionaires. If you don't understand this you really are in no position to be commenting about this at all. Indeed, Bettman got away with saying things like "the fans are telling us to not come back until we get the deal we need".
Fan perception has nothing to do with why the players came back. If that mattered, we wouldn't have lost a year in the first place.

Quote:
That's (not) an interesting thing to say. I see you took the time to back it up, as you've done throughout this thread.
LMAO. Ernie, do a little reading. Maybe take a remedial level business course.

Quote:
The general perception matters immensely and if that perception doesn't change it will end up hurting the players in the wallet just like the last time the CBA was up for re-negotiation.
It didn't matter last time and it won't matter next time. The players will do what's right for them and so will the owners. We'll get hockey when they both decide it's time to give it to us.

salzy is offline   Reply With Quote