View Single Post
Old
11-14-2004, 06:57 PM
stanley

vCash: 500
Lidle would definitely be the cheapest, and I think he's a pretty good bargain. Good intrinsic stats. As for the list, the two who would hold my interest were I Phillie GM (note I didn't say "Ed Wade") would be Radke and Pavano, in order of choice. Radke has really good K/BB and WHIP numbers and has been consistent throughout his career. Pavano has a shorter resume and slightly poorer numbers, but I think he's going to command more money over a longer period of time.

Lowe had a great post-season, but he has been SO inconsistent that he will be very much overpaid this winter. His numbers over the past two years have been awful. Not bad - awful. If you watched the WS, you saw the 2002 version of D-Lowe, which has been the exception and not the rule. In my opinion, he's not that good, where "that" equals the amount of money his agent thinks he's worth. As has been suggested, Boras will extract cashola from somebody, and in a way that will make the buyer feel as though calling the police and his insurance company is the most appropriate thing to do. Don't get beer goggles from what you saw - $10M for a sinkerball pitcher with a 1.61 WHIP and a sub-2 K/BB is a bad deal eight days a week, and three good performances against reeling teams (although I must admit, his six and seven innings of Game 7 ALCS and Gm 4 WS, respectively, were about as unhittable as somebody has been in recent memory) do not a multi-million, franchise-handcuffing contract make.

Ask yourself this: Whom from that staff would you take? Lowe or Bronson Arroyo. It's a no-brainer even if we leave out the money. Arroyo has become - at this point in their respective careers - the better pitcher and BY FAR the better bargain. It sounds silly, but if you look who's more successful at getting outs, it's Arroyo and not by a slim margain.

I think the Phillies would do better to try and trade Howard for young pitching. Somebody would buy on that. They don't seem to have much of a plan right now.