View Single Post
Old
09-20-2009, 10:24 PM
God Bless Canada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Just curious, why Delvecchio and not Ullman? Their offensive credentials are very similar, but one played a considerable amount with Howe and one didn't. And although Delvecchio was a good two-way player, I don't believe he had quite the reputation that Ullman did in that regard.
Very fair question. Actually, Delvecchio has an excellent reputation for being a two-way player.

I think hockey sense is the biggest difference for me. Delvecchio might be the smartest forward that we haven't added yet. That includes guys like Lach, Blake, Francis and Doug Bentley, who were all very, very cerebral players.

He's better in the playoffs. He's close to a point-per-game in the playoffs, even though his best days were in the Original 6. And he was much more consistent in the playoffs than Ullman.

And Delvecchio probably had one of the most remarkable careers in NHL history. Here's a guy who was a tremendous hockey player for a lot of years in the Original 6. And even though he was a key player almost from the moment he entered the league, he was an offensive catalyst in the show at an age when most former players are well into retirement. He turned 40 midway through his final season. He still managed 71 points in 77 games, and a plus six, for Detroit.

He's a guy who, if he would have played his peak years after expansion, would have absolutely torn the league apart.

Ullman was the better goal-scorer and the more physical player. And if you're one of those who puts more weight on goal-scoring than playmaking, then you might have Ullman ahead. But I regard Delvecchio as the better player.

For what it's worth, I have Sid Abel ahead of Ullman, too.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote