View Single Post
Old
09-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
Edmonton flat out loses this one. Huml is still a one-dimensional hotshot youngster who would play on an already saturated left side. Boynton is a great return for Edmonton, but giving up Bergeron hardly improves their depth. I'd pass on this one.

I see something more along the lines of:

Brian Rolston (with Boston eating a little salary) and Jonathan Girard for Mike Comrie, Jason Chimera and a prospect.

Boston still gets their second line center and a promising young two-way forward in Chimera. Edmonton gets a player who can play a top-six role and put Smyth back on the left wing where he belongs. They also get cheap offensive depth on their blueline in Girard, a player who is not only young enough to fit the mold of the Oilers team, but also has enough veteran experience to reinforce their blueline.

There is only two flaws: one, is Rolston's contract which I tried to lookup on nhlpa.com, but is unavailable. I assume he's around the three million dollar range, something the Bruins would have to help them out with. He is also, I believe, a UFA after next season, so he could provide enough talent and offensive punch while players like Stoll, Rita and Torres develop into full-time players. The second flaw is Girard may be out for a while due to his accident, so the Oils might be scared off from that.

It's something I just thought of on the spot. Thoughts?
I personally like the 1st one better. Rolston is a soon to be UFA and makes too much money for the Oilers to keep around. The Bruins are also not a team that would likely be willing to pick up any salary heading the other way.