View Single Post
Old
09-22-2009, 11:54 PM
overpass

vCash: 500
Valeri Kharlamov

Joe Pelletier:
Quote:
Valeri Kharlamov played during the 1970's prior to the arrival of Larionov and Makarov and co. His skating was unequaled and his passing and shooting was simply uncanny. He perhaps had the greatest arsenal of skill of any player ever, maybe even more so than Gretzky or Lemieux, but we never had the chance to really determine that. One European hockey expert described Kharlamov as a combination of Mike Bossy and Pavel Bure.

Voice of Russia:
Quote:
Kharlamov enjoyed respect of his fellow players without exception and was the teams informal leader.
Accomplishments
* MVP USSR League 1972, 1973
* USSR All Stars 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1978
* USSR scoring champion (goals) 1971
* USSR scoring champion (points) 1972
* Voted "Best Forward" at the 1976 World Championship
* IIHF All Star: 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976
* Named to IIHF Centennial All Star Team as the top left winger
* Inducted into Hockey Hall of Fame in 2005

More quotes on Kharlamov - from the ones who know the impact of a player best, the coaches.

[Kharlamov's coach]: "Valery Kharlamov was born to play hockey. He was the smartest even among star players. He called him a diamond in the crown of Russian ice-hockey.

[Canadian coach who coached against Kharlamov in 1972]: "He was our primary target. Every night it was, 'who's going to take care of that guy?' He was dynamite. He had the skill and the ability of any player in the NHL at the time. Serge Savard figures he's one of the greatest players he's ever seen, and that's good enough for me."

And a couple of quotes from 1972, even if the sources aren't the most popular (I hope nobody's going to draft these guys...)

Alan Eagleson: "I have never seen anyone, other than Orr, as fast as Valeri Kharlamov. Hes the only guy Id mention in the same breath as Orr."

Harold Ballard: "Ill pay one million for that number seventeen of the Russians."

The Millionaires believe Kharlamov will provide them with an elite gamebreaker on offence. His incredible array of skills and elite hockey smarts will allow him to adjust very well to the all-time setting.

Last edited by overpass: 09-24-2009 at 11:48 AM.