View Single Post
Old
11-17-2004, 02:48 AM
PK*

vCash: 500
It was during the semis of my hometown Atom tournament. We were playing the top team in the league that year. They had only lost something like 1 or 2 games (on a 24 games schedule) and destroyed us everytime we played them. They had two guys that went on to play in the QMJHL (the goalie and an underaged forward), one still plays there. I played defense back then (switched to right wing the following year). So the game got underway and to our surprise, we were able to play on par with them. We scored early and we maintained that lead until 5 seconds before the end of the first, when they got a lucky goal. That fired them and they came back scoring 2 quick goals to start the second. They added another one midway through the period. With two minutes to go, we got a lucky break ; their goalie went to play the puck behind the net, fell down, we picked up the puck and burried it. We then proceded into the third feeling like it was our game even though we were trailing by 2. The first 10 minutes of the third were pretty slow, most of the play was taking place in the neutral zone. They then got a penalty and the face-off was in their own zone. We won it and I was able to get a pretty good shot that was deflected by a teamate to make it 4-3. 30 seconds later, we go in on a 2 on 1 and we score again. The score was 4-4 with 5 minutes to play. For the next three minutes, they pounded us, but our goalie saved the day a few times. With 1:30 to go, our coach called a change-up and I was left alone on the ice with 5 opponents while the changes were being made. I took the puck behind my own net, proceded to my blue line, deked their first two guys, out-sprinted two others and got a bit tangled up with the last man, but still managed to get by him and had a nice look on the net. I went top blocker side and to my surprised, the goalie did not stop it. For a second, I did not understood what had happenned, until my teamates jumped on me. So it was 5-4 with 1:15 to go. We went on to win that game and even though we lost in the finals, it still is a great memory. If you want to picture how my goal looked, the coach told me it reminded him of one of Larry Robinson's from an end to the other goals. Not that I'm even near this kind of talent, but sometimes you can that jump in your feet that you don't have a clue where it comes from.