View Single Post
11-17-2004, 12:35 PM
MacDaddy TLC*
vCash: 500
I can't believe this didn't come to mind first:

I work for an organization that provides support to people with disabilities. We play a charity game annually against another organization.

The 3rd game of our charity games the other agency brought a young guy out with multiple disabilities to play. At the start of the second period they wheeled his chair into the front of the net. He had all the goalie equipment and probably the biggest smile I've ever seen. He was only going to play one whistle and out, but ended up playing about 5 minutes. I took the faceoff to the the period and we got the puck down into his end. His teammates seem to be a little over protective, but as usual, we had our way with them. We held nothing back. I got right in his face screening him (pretty much sitting on his knee) One of the guys on our team just rifled a slapshot right into his pads. I poked at the rebound and got it jammed into his spokes and the whistle blows. 2 shots, two saves and this guy is on top of the World. They decided to leave him in goal, the play goes on and a little later we get the puck back and are heading into their end. A guy from our agency crosses the blueline and just lets go a big slapshot that whistles right over this guys shoulder into the top corner. He is nearly booed out of the building, getting razzed from both benches about being a "superstar" . The guy felt bad but the young guy in goal was in absolute glory because he knew we weren't taking it easy on him and he was just another of the boys playing the game. He proably played half the period before getting pulled and receiving a standing ovation from the few hundred that attended. At the end of the game we all gathered around him for a big group photo.
After the game his brother came into our dressing room and thanked us for making his brother's dream come true. He was a 38 year old lifetime hockey fan who just experienced his dream. It turned out to be one of my favourite hockey moments as well.