View Single Post
Old
09-19-2003, 10:30 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGM
I don't want to debate with you eddie, you make me feel to sad. After our last debate over this when you said (correctly) that the Oilers were simply trying to stay aflot until after the CBA it really bummed me out. I mean, I know you are right, it just proves that what I have been saying all along is true. It is hard to watch one of the most storied franchises in the history of our league go from a team that you could never count out to a team that is simply trying to stay afloat.

As for trying to compare this deal with Jagr and his truly ludicrous contract, you are better than that.
I'm not trying to compare Comrie and Jagr's trade value. I'm trying to highlight that dollars, not competition, has become the main focus for almost every team in the league, even some of the richest. Many teams around the league are trying- without success- to get rid of superstars. Would that situation exist in a league where competition was the primary focus? Of course not.

The Oilers aren't *just* trying to stay afloat. They're trying to build a team that will be competitive in the near future, like a lot of other teams. Unlike some of those teams, a more rational CBA is a necessary part of the Oilers' building plans. And unlike many teams that are building for the future, the Oilers have been able to put a competitive team on the ice.