View Single Post
Old
11-18-2004, 01:17 AM
Burberry Manning

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Let's not get crazy here. Big Ben IS the goods as well, and could very well turn out to be better than Eli. Eli reminds me of another Manning, while Ben reminds me of a young Favre. Roethlisberger is only doing what he supposed to do. Why should he get penalized for playing behind the Pitt O-line? He is what he is. And to say that he is overhyped is to listen to the speakings of those who have not watched lots of football. No one in football is overhyping the kid. He is good and he happens to be playing in a good situation.

"I remember watching him versus the Eagles and was just laughing my ass off "

Wait until you see Eli face the Eagles with that offensive line. You may want to save a chuckle or two for that game.

"Roethlisberger could be a good quarterback in this league but at the moment he is just riding the Steeler's wave and is nothing more than a caretaker"

What is he supposed to do, demand that his offensive line and recievers get benched? Let's not forget that Eli is inheriting one of the best running games in the league as well. Not to mention one of the better tight-ends. Toomer is still a decent reciever.
To me, neither kid is overhyped. The only people that say that are those that root for one or the other. They are what they are. They are both very young and very talented QB's. And while it would not surprise me if Manning becomes every bit as good as his brother, it would also not surprise me if Roethlisberger were to become as good, if not better.
I think my point got misunderstood in my writing. I am really not trying to take a swipe at Roethlisberger or his skill set, rather I am trying to reason with those who are annointing him the best young QB since Marino. Many people think that since he is winning so many games he must be at the top of the QB charts right now. I think it is insane to judge someone's talent and skill based on the W-L. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, Marino didnt. The W-L doesn't mean everything. I know that he is doing what he can with what he is allowed to work with and I'm not penalizing him one bit, instead I am trying to point this out to show that he has not been an overwhelming factor in the Steeler's success. Neither Eli or Roethlisberger have had the chance to be completely 'in charge' of their team. We haven't seen either QB in the capacity that they were drafted to fill so it would be silly to make any judgements about their future so far. When Ben is the leader of his team, and Eli is the leader of the Giants then we will be able to judge but right now we cant.