View Single Post
Old
09-25-2009, 09:07 PM
gravytrain6t

vCash: 500
Well atleast Redden's contract will be gone a year sooner than Briere's and who knows what enticing free agents will be available before the start of the 14'-15' season?

I think Redden's solid defense is overshadowed by his salary. No one gets excited about a "D" man being in the right position just in time to deflect a shot into the stands.

His play has improved under Tortorella and he'll have a better season (still, not enough to justify his contract. But it's not like the Rangers paid Dale Purinton 6.5mil to play Defense instead).

I don't think you can give up on a guy after one transitional season. He's in better shape, he did not score in any pre season games but no one "burned him" back there.

The announcers on MSG have said it. So did Redden. That's the fact that he is one of the guys who feels much more comfortable in the new system. And really, as far as positioning, i still think he and Rozsival are the best defense men on the team and could provide some mentoring.

I think a trade like this has to be looked at in a sense of where help is needed most. IDC what anyone says. Redden is not a piece of garbage defense man.

The Rangers need some vets on the "Blue Line" if they are to go anywhere. Staal is good and will be a great shutdown "D" man. But he looks so steady back there that sometimes it makes you forget how long he's played in this league (which of course is only 1 season). Throw in Gilroy and MDZ, and I think we're getting "too young and inexperienced on "D." Not to mention if the team makes the playoffs! You must have a few vets on the blue line. Especially at the NHL level.

I think we have to keep Girardi, Rozsival, and Redden and I would pair each of them with one of Staal, Gilroy and MDZ (I'm assuming dz makes the team).

So i wouldn't make this trade! And it doesn't have to do with me not liking Briere.

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 09-25-2009 at 09:16 PM.
gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote