View Single Post
Old
11-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Captain Conservative

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
first off, this is contingent on a few things. first, that hockey will start next year, not this year, and as well, it is only if washington does have plans to re-sign dainius zubrus..

to washington - alexei semenov
to edmonton - brian sutherby

reasoning for edmonton - we all know lowe really likes sutherby, and his style of play would be loved in edmonton. sutherby does have the potential (imo) to become a leader on/off ice in the same way messier was in edmonton (not the same of course but same idea). sutherby has good size, and can play all types of hockey. as well, based on my idea of hockey starting up next year, i believe woywitka would be ready to step in, as well as doug lynch perhaps, so the oilers DO have the depth to make the trade

reasoning for washington - like i said, it has to be if they are planning on re-signing dainius zubrus. zubrus as we know can be effective two way on a top two line, and then with ovechkin coming in, obviously he will play a top line role. then washington has a guy like halpern, a perfect third line center, one of the best, and lastly several guys that can center that fourth line (imo whitfield is that guy). now, as far as defense, there are questions outside eminger and witt. yonkman and cutta are questions, and some of the other prospects won't be ready. morrisonn is also still developing and could be ready, boumedienne will obviously have a look, however semenov has played in the nhl the past two seasons and has a load of potential at both ends of the rink.

thoughts ? remember this is based on zubrus being re-signed and hockey starting next year

From a WSH standpoint, i'd do that deal in a heartbeat. Semenov is a fine young defenseman with a lot of upside.