View Single Post
11-18-2004, 07:41 PM
John Flyers Fan
vCash: 500
I had a number if great experiences gorwing up playing the game from age 5 until I finished playing for Penn St.

Most fun/memorable would be winning the mid-atlantic regional as a bantam, and going to nationals as one of the 10 best teams in the country.

Most interesting to readers however would probably be the trip/hockey camp trip that I won in a raffle.

I was 15 years old, and it was 1990. Coca-cola was sponsoring the first ever Wayne Gretzky hockey camp.

They held a raffle in each of the NHL cities and 2 kids, aged 8-15 were chosen from each NHL city. I was one of the lucky ones to win from Philadelphia.

As the winner I was able to bring a guest (my Dad) and we got

Round Trip airfair to Toronto
Accomodations at one of the nicest Hotels in downtown toronto, i think it was the Westin
Jackets, Hats
Autographed copy of Wayne's autobiography, which was coming out in a month
Professional black & white photo with Wayne
Video of the trip

The camp was 2 days, with 2 ice sessions each day, instruction in the Am and scrimmages at night. It wasn't the best instruction I've ever had, but at night during the scimmages we were broken into 4 teams, on 2 sheets of ice. During the night Wayne rotated playing in all 4 teams ... as did his special guest instructors: Kirk Muller, Ed Olczyk and Luc Robitaille. Playing a few shifts each night with Gretzy is something I'll never forget, especially him setting me up for a goal. Walter Gretzky was also there and very active helping out and playing, this was before his stroke.

One highlight that stands out, was Wayne after instructing on slapshots had a few pucks with him standing at the blueline. The net at the far end had a shooter tutor, and he asked on of the kids to pick a hole. The kid picker the right hand top corner ... and Gretzky nailed it first shot from 120 feet.