Thread: Hockey Camps
View Single Post
Old
11-18-2004, 09:31 PM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudNine
Definitely is the most important. Over the years I've played, I've learned that having great skating abilities allows you to concentrate more on specific skills. For a forward, having a strong skating technique can let you become what you want to be (a finesse player, a defensive player, checker, etc etc.). But of course, it is the hardest part to learn.

At a school my team went to a number of years ago they would analyze the skating technique of the players with a computer program. After the players watched the video, the instructors would work with them to better their stride and posture. After a year and summer of working with one of the instructors, a regular fourth line player on my team jumped up to the second line and then on to the first line. It was all due to his improved skating abilities. He's now playing for the Oshawa Generals.

With great skating, your natural abilities shine.

Among the skating drills I remember most from Howie meeker's camp was that as you skated around the ice, for all drills you were skating backwards going around the ice ... you only turned to skate forwad just before you reached the blueline, then did the drills between the bluelines, and then went right back to skating backwards.

By doing that it taught you backward skating, and also turning and balance. Only after you showed great proficiency, in skating ability (less than 10% of campers), did you get the opportunity to carry the puck during the skating drills. Even then you only carried the puck while skating backwards moving around the ice, you gave them in between the bluelines.

The other ingenious thing about Meeker's camp was how the scrimages were held at night. he hated regular scrimmages, because he didn't feel that players got to handle the puck enough. He created some crazy scrimmages, that are impossible to describe without being able to draw, but bottom line was that:

The was 1 puck for every two skaters on the ice., so players go to handle the puck a ton. There were shots coming from everywhere and very often so the goalies got a ton of work ... there was often mass confusion of a ton of players on the ice, playing different pucks going in different directions, so keeping your head up was a MAJOR priority.